On Saturday, October 25th, Paul & I participated in the Northeast Alabama Community College Mustang 5K Run. The Wednesday before, Paul was really sick. He had to leave work and was at home all day Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday in bed with a headache and throwing up. We actually had to go to the ER early (1:30 am) on Thursday morning to get him checked out and some medicine. They believe he had a migraine that was triggered by being around a gas leak. So needless to say, when Saturday rolled around Paul still wasn't feeling 100% back to normal. But the trooper that he is, he still wanted to give the run that we had been training for a try. Bless his heart, try as he might, he was having a difficult time. He could hardly get in a deep breath and he couldn't run for very long. In spite of it all, he didn't give up. He just walked when he needed to and kept on trying. I am so proud of him!
This was only the 2nd 5K that I have participated in, so I was really excited.
I had 2 goals:
1) NO WALKING! Run the entire 3.1 miles
2) Finish better than my first 5K [32:53]
I am happy to say that I met both goals! This was the first run that NACC had ever hosted and the turn out was surprisingly good. There were over 75 participates in all! The course was a double loop around the walking trail and the campus. The leaves on the trees around the walking trail had changed and their color was absolutely brilliant! So beautiful. It was a treat to take in the autumn scenery as we ran. The reflection off the lake made it doubly enjoyable! The temperature started off a little cool but it warmed up a bit and it made for a very good run.
I was the 20th runner finished with a time of 30:06! I placed 2nd in the female 19 to 29 year old division. Allison placed 3rd in our division. Paul placed 3rd in the male 19 to 29 year old division. The trophy was a Mustang horseshoe with a plaque. This was a fun race and one that we will definitely want to do again.
Me & Paul
Me & Allison, my running buddy
Some of our running group
Jerry, Connie, Paul, Allison, Melanie, Me, & Stacy
We all placed!!! YAY!!
Now we are gearing up for the next 5K, the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I can't wait!
2 comments:
I'm so proud of both of you! Congratulations on meeting your goal. What is Connie's last name? I think we went to Northeast together.
I am SO JEALOUS! Just kidding. I REALLY do wish I could have ran that race too though! It is so hard to stay motivated to run when you don't have a goal. I ran yesterday on the treadmill, & it is the first I have run (aside from chasing our dog in the yard) in weeks! And now I find out that the next race is on Thanksgiving & we will AGAIN be in Mobile! AAGH! We have got to get Dale's parents moved up here!
Congratulations on your success though! REALLY!
Post a Comment