Thursday, October 23, 2008

Logan's Party

Logan's 1st Birthday Party was Saturday, October 18th. Mom (aka Grammy) & I made his cake and cupcakes on Friday night and Alisha & I iced them on Saturday before the party. The original plans were to have the party at Fyffe Town Park from 2 to 4pm. Mom & Dad ended up having a meeting at our church that was to last until 3pm so I changed the party time to 3 to 5pm. This should have been an indication that things wouldn't go as planned, but I thought nothing of it. Saturday morning we worked in the Helping Hands Benevolence Ministry and it everything took longer than usual and things were a little crazy. I began to get a little nervous that we wouldn't be able to get everything ready for the party on time. It was a bit chilly that morning and despite suggestions from Paul that maybe we should change the location, I was laser focused on getting things ready and thoroughly convinced that the day would warm up and everything would be perfect. What I didn't account for was the wind. It was probably the most windy afternoon we've have this autumn! The sun was shining brightly, but it was no match for the huge gusts of wind whipping outside! We were attempting to set things up at the pavilion in the park when it became evident that we would need to do something. By this time most of the guests had arrived and were shivering as I made the annoucement that we were going to change the party location to our nearby church Life Center. So after transporting everything to the new location, we ate hot dogs (provided by Grammy & Papa) and ate cupcakes (decorated like pumpkins), chips, & ice cream.
For Logan's cake, I used the cake mold that my aunt used to make my 1st birthday cake and made him his own little bear cake. I used Mom's Icing Decorating Tips to ice the little bear to look furry. It turned out SO cute! Using my Aunt Martha's suggestion, I used cocoa to get just the right shade of brown for the bear. Logan loved it! At first he looked at it and just grinned. Then right off the bat, he took a finger full of icing and smeared it behind his left ear! Then, he began to pinch off icing and eat it. I pulled off both of the bear's ears and fed them to Logan. He got the idea after that and began to strategically eat the head. By the time he had finished, the head and most of the belly of the bear was gone. He really had a great time.
Logan got a LOT of presents! We got him a little Power Wheels Four Wheeler. Grammy & Papa got him clothes, socks, & a 2 seater wagon. He got a drum, xylophone, lots of pajamas, clothes, balls, T ball stand, bath toys, tractor toys, learning toys, play cell phone & keys, a little pair of Nike Shox, little Bear toys, a cap, and so much more. It was literally like Christmas! He never did get the hang of opening the presents, but he loved every minute of it!
The party didn't turn out like we planned, but it was fun anyway!
LOGAN'S 1st BIRTHDAY!!!


Paul, Logan, & me
Logan really loved his little bear cake!

Logan's 1st birthday cake!

Logan licking icing off his fingers.

He really dug into the cake!


We all really missed Kayla and were thinking about her all day.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I am so impressed with your cake making skills. The bear was so cute! Logan looks like he had a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

So, when are you going to open up a cake shop? Just kidding, but you should consider it. That bear cake was amazing!!! Happy Birthday Logan!!!

Ashley Jones